[SciPy-user] clapack--installation problem

Pearu pearu at scipy.org
Tue Aug 20 16:26:58 CDT 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Giovanni Montana wrote:

> > See above the atlas_info part. Also when building, pay attention that the
> > wrong lapack library (in /usr/lib) will not be used when linking
> > clapack.so
>
> clapack.so has been built this time (in build/.../scipy/linalg/), but still I
> coudn't import it.

Try to import directly. I mean cd build/lib.../scipy/linalg and then from
python do import clapack. What exactly happens? You can use programs like
ldd and nm to find out what symbols are missing or available in libraries.

> So I guess thw wrong path was used when linking it?

You can see it when building it. Look for 'gcc -shared ...' command lines.

> I tried to run setup_linalg.py and I get:
>
> atlas_info:
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>
> setup_linalg.py:39: UserWarning:
>     Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
>     the ATLAS environment variable.
>
> but both things (site.cfg and ATLAS var) are correct...

How can
  python scipy_distutils/system_info.py
find ATLAS and when in linalg, ATLAS is not detected? If you made changes
(then what?) to system_info.py then I suspect that while you execute
setup_linalg.py,  then other system_info.py is used from the installed
scipy. Make the  following  link to linalg directory

  cd linalg && ln -s ../scipy_distutils .

and try again setup_linalg.py.

Pearu