[SciPy-user] ANN: IPython 0.2.5

Fernando Pérez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Tue Feb 12 02:22:49 CST 2002

Hi everyone,

sorry for the cross-posting (this was in c.l.p), but I actually think some of
you may find this useful if you don't read c.l.p. If you do, just ignore this
message and don't beat me up :)

Below is a summary of what IPython is (from the c.l.p post), I'd just like to
add here why I think it's relevant for scipy folks: the whole design for
IPython was inspired on features from systems like Mathematica, IDL or
Matlab. In scientific work having a solid interactive environment in which to
explore your data and ideas is critical, and I felt the standard python prompt
to be very limited.

Hence IPython: I designed it thinking of it being the user front end for
interactive scientific computing, while the scipy libraries are the workhorse
behind. So my idea is that IPython would be a nice complement to the scipy
libraries for those doing day-to-day scientific computing in python.

It's low-versioned but I actually use it 100% of the time for my work, and it
hasn't crashed in quite a while (famous last words :). If it crashes on you,
just mail me the auto-generated post-mortem and I'll try to fix things.

Ok, enough self promotion. The summary, and I hope some of you find it useful.

Brief summary: IPython, an enhanced interactive Python shell.

WHERE: http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/ipython

IPython tries to:

1. Provide an interactive interpreter superior to Python's default. IPython
has many features for object introspection, shell access, and its own special
command system for adding functionality when working interactively.

2. Serve as an embeddable, ready to use interpreter for your own
programs. IPython can be started with a single call from inside another
program, providing access to the current namespace. This can be very useful
both for debugging purposes and for situations where a blend of
batch-processing and interactive exploration are needed.

3. Offer a flexible framework which can be used as the base environment for
other systems with Python as the underlying language. Specifically scientific
environments like Mathematica, IDL and Mathcad inspired its design, but
similar ideas can be useful in many fields.

Portability: Linux (and other unices, including Mac OSX), Windows XP. Should
run fine on all WinNT, and probably also on Win9x (I can't test that).

Python version: requires 2.1 or newer.

License: LGPL (a few files from third parties carry MIT licenses).

Cheers,

Fernando Perez.