[SciPy-user] Problems during build

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Feb 26 07:17:38 CST 2002

Pearu Peterson schrieb:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Nils Wagner wrote:
>
> > here it is ...
> >
> > running run_f2py
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "setup.py", line 127, in ?
> >     install_package()
> <snip>
> >   File "scipy_distutils/command/run_f2py.py", line 105, in f2py_sources
> >     for line in f.xreadlines():
> > ImportError: No module named xreadlines
>
> This is the strangest failure that I have seen these days.
> What Python are you using and how it was installed?
> Is there a reason why xreadlines module is missing in your Python
> installation?
>
> Does anyone know whether this is a scipy_distutils bug (that it uses
> xreadlines) or the corresponing Python installation is broken?
>
> Pearu

Hi Pearu,

It's a bug within SuSE 7.3. Therefore I have used a self-compiled
Python, namely Python-2.1.2

./python
Python 2.1.2 (#1, Feb 25 2002, 18:04:21)
[GCC 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)] on linux2
>>> import xreadlines

Shall I remove the old python, that is Python-2.1.1 (SuSE) before I use
make install
to install the new Python-2.1.2 ?
Shall I use the prefix option ./configure --prefix=/usr to be compatible
with SuSE's standard path ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nils