[SciPy-user] chaco:I found W, now what?

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Tue Jul 23 19:38:53 CDT 2002

Hey Jim,

Chaco itself is in quite a state of flux with things breaking and
getting fixed on a daily or at least weekly basis.  Until it stabilizes
a little more, keeping the docs updated will be difficult.  Sorry about
that, and I ask for your patience. :)  Also, most advances are made in
wxPython first.  On the positive side, it is getting close to being a
full implementation -- well as full of implementation as we plan.

My experience with a the Mac and Python cover a total of maybe 2 days,
and the whole thing continues to befuddle me.  Line endings, framework
vs. non-framework builds, resource forks, creator type, etc.  I haven't
figured them out yet.

The main reason of porting to the Mac OS (so far) is to compare Chaco
against Quartz's behavior.  They should be pretty much the same.  I
managed to get an initial test of the mac stuff working, but, after
seeing that it looked the same, I haven't maintained it.  I'm hoping
someone more comfortable on OSX will pick it up at some point.

All of that said, I think it should all still run.  As I remember, the
tests were done from the MacPython command line.  The following might
work.

	>>> import maccore2d
	>>> maccore2d.show_all_samplers()

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Eric

On
> Behalf Of boyle5 at llnl.gov
> Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 4:49 PM
> To: scipy-user at scipy.net
> Subject: [SciPy-user] chaco:I found W, now what?
>
> Thanks Rob,  I found W as part ot the MacPython distribution.
>
> Still no joy - there seems to be some incompatibility between the
Carbon
> libs I have
> and those used by W. Also I do not have 'waste'.
>
> I think my difficulties stem from my utter lack of understanding of
the
> relation between mac-python, macho-python,  python-python.
>
> Maybe the Chaco developer's page could describe the python
installation
> for OSX that is being used for their testing.
>
> Jim
>

> On Tuesday, July 23, 2002, at 12:40 PM, Rob Managan wrote:
>
> >> I got chaco off cvs and attempted to run the maccore2d.py code
which
> >> generates test
> >> samples.
> >> The code fails at the line(586):
> >> import W
> >>
> >> The developers page indicates that the Mac OSX code has no other
> >> dependencies outside of Numeric.
> >>
> >> I am at a loss as where this module ( 'W' ) should come from.
Looking