[SciPy-user] ATLAS and LAPACK libraries

Robert Kern kern at caltech.edu
Sat Jun 8 17:50:30 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 11:35:24AM -0500, damian wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to build scipy from source, and I have installed LAPACK and
> ATLAS but I am
> a bit confussed on how to link them. More to the point, the directions
> state to do the  following ...
>
> mkdir tmp
> cd tmp
> ar x ../liblapack.a

Unpacks ATLAS's liblapack.a into separate object files in tmp.

> cp <your LAPACK path & lib> ../liblapack.a

Replace <your LAPACK path & lib> with the location of your netlib LAPACK
library: /usr/local/lib/liblapack.a or something like that. Search your
system. Probably any liblapack.a is suitable.

Overwrites the ATLAS liblapack.a with the netlib one.

> ar r ../liblapack.a *.o

Archives all of the object files in tmp into ../liblapack.a, overwriting
the unoptimized routines.

> cd ..
> rm -rf tmp

Hope that helps.