[SciPy-user] numarray interface and performance issues (for dot product and transpose)

Fernando Perez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Fri Mar 1 16:36:04 CST 2002

On 1 Mar 2002, A.Schmolck wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> Fernando Perez <fperez at pizero.colorado.edu> writes:
> > I hope that if this undergraduate project you mention is something serious,
> > they could consider joining forces with the scipy plotting effort. One of the
>
> AFAIK it is a serious attempt to provide fully fledged plotting abilities for
> python (2D, 3D, images, zooming, saving in ps etc.), but unfortunately, I
> suspect that since the shared nature of open source development fits uneasily
> with the assessment policy of my university for 3rd year projects, no code
> will be publicly released before the end of easter (as much as I myself would
> like to have a look at it now and hack around...).

Too bad. Maybe when they're done with the 'class project' they can open it up
for public development in the future. There's a lot of plotting projects out
there (scigraphica, kmatplot and mathplot are the newest ones that come to
mind) and most feel like half-finished toys, or seriously lack scripting
abilities. In my mind, even though a gui is very useful in many cases, it's
_critical_ to have low-level access to the graphing primitives so the engine
can be controlled via code. I have no interest in spending my life clicking on
menus to set titles when all that can be automated.

The scipy folks seem well directed at a system which does provide that kind of
low-level access, but at some point (even if it's not right now) I'm sure that
all new hands would be welcome.

One good example of what I have in mind is Prabhu's MayaVi: nice gui but fully
scriptable (even though the internals are in need of some restructuring to
make this task easier). I'm using it to generate sequences of 3-d slices of
4-d datasets, which would be in practice impossible if I couldn't control the
thing via code. Your friends might want to take a look at it (if they haven't
already).

Anyway, I'm glad to see there's interest in this area and people working on
it. Eric and the core scipy people are already busy to the top with the basic
infrastructure.

Cheers,

f.