[SciPy-user] Problem with scipy_distutils

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Thu Dec 4 06:59:15 CST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, [iso-8859-15] Berthold Höllmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying build a FORTRAN module using scipy_distutils. Due to some
> hidden dynamic libraries I'm trying to use the "runtime_library_dirs"
> in the extension definition. But with the "ifc" for Linux I get
> warnigs:
>
> ifc: Command line warning: ignoring unknown option '-R/usr/local/fitools/linux/lib'
>
> ifc does not know the "-R" switch, but requires "-Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker ".
>
> I thougt, after looking into the code, adding a method
>
>     def runtime_library_dir_option(self, dir):
>         return "-Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker " + dir
>
> should do the trick, but unfortunately it does not. I still get the
> "-R" in the link command. What can be done about this?

I remember that this issue has been come up earlier but I don't exactly
recall the solution. What Python, ifc versions are you using?
This "-R" switch comes from runtime_library_dir_option method
of distutils/unixccompiler.py, see the comment in this file,
sending a fix to Python people might be a good idea.

Pearu