[SciPy-user] Re: Problem with scipy_distutils

Berthold Höllmann hoel at gl-group.com
Thu Dec 4 17:44:46 CST 2003

Pearu Peterson <pearu at scipy.org> writes:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, [iso-8859-15] Berthold Höllmann wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying build a FORTRAN module using scipy_distutils. Due to some
>> hidden dynamic libraries I'm trying to use the "runtime_library_dirs"
>> in the extension definition. But with the "ifc" for Linux I get
>> warnigs:
>>
>> ifc: Command line warning: ignoring unknown option '-R/usr/local/fitools/linux/lib'
>>
>> ifc does not know the "-R" switch, but requires "-Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker ".
>>
>> I thougt, after looking into the code, adding a method
>>
>>     def runtime_library_dir_option(self, dir):
>>         return "-Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker " + dir
>>
>> should do the trick, but unfortunately it does not. I still get the
>> "-R" in the link command. What can be done about this?
>
> I remember that this issue has been come up earlier but I don't exactly
> recall the solution. What Python, ifc versions are you using?
> This "-R" switch comes from runtime_library_dir_option method
> of distutils/unixccompiler.py, see the comment in this file,
> sending a fix to Python people might be a good idea.
>
> Pearu

I'm using ifc 7.1 and python 2.3. I found runtime_library_dir_option
and read the message about some buggy code, but the "-Xlinker" option
is specific to ifc so I don't think it should be solved in
distutils/unixccompiler.py, but there where the FORTRAN specific parts
of the code are defined, so the class intel_ia32_fortran_compiler in
scipy_distutils/command/build_flib.py would be the place to go, but it
does not work, maybe because ccoompiler is used for linking instead of
an fortran_compiler class.

Kind regards

Berthold Höllmann
--
Germanischer Lloyd AG
CAE Development
e-mail: hoel at gl-group.com
Internet: http://www.gl-group.com

Please notice: We would like to inform you that the e-mail address of Germanischer Lloyd as well as our internet address had been changed to  gl-group.com with effect from 1st March 2003.

This means that the previous address shortmark at germanlloyd.org will be replaced by shortmark at gl-group.com. From now on the GL homepage can be accessed at the address 'http://www.gl-group.com'. The old addresses remain valid for a transitional period.

This e-mail contains confidential information for the exclusive attention of the intended addressee. Any access of third parties to this e-mail is unauthorised. Any use of this e-mail by unintended recipients such as copying, distribution, disclosure etc. is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients the content of this e-mail is subject to the General Terms and Conditions of GL's Group of Companies applicable at the date of this e-mail.

GL's Group of Companies does not warrant and/or guarantee that this message at the moment of receipt is authentic, correct and its communication free of errors, interruption etc.