[SciPy-user] Building on Windows?

Gary Pajer pajer at iname.com
Fri Dec 5 21:54:25 CST 2003

I've been trying to build cvs scipy on WinXP.  No other reason than to be up
to date, so I may punt this activity.

It's not compiling.  There are hints and instructions on the web site, and
included with cvs.  Are these instructions up to date?

I think I've settled all the dependencies (never sure).  I'm using the
Enthought edition of python, which includes Mingc. I'm guessing that that
compiler should work, otherwise why would it be included?

The error is:
error:  Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions
need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't
installed.

If it takes recompiling python, I think I'll pass.   On the other hand,
maybe I'm missing something relatively simple.

I've built scipy on linux without much difficulty.  Is building scipy on
WinXP just a royal pain, or can it be done with reasonable effort?

-gary