[SciPy-user] optimize.leastsq fit errors?

Scott Ransom ransom at physics.mcgill.ca
Sun Apr 18 10:13:11 CDT 2004

Hi Robert,

This sounds exactly like what I need.  I'll take a look.

Thanks a lot,

SCott

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 03:35:07AM -0700, Robert Kern wrote:
> Scott Ransom wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Is it possible (or does anyone have any add-on functions available) to get
> >error estimates on the fit parameters using optimize.leastq?  (or
> >alternatively, the resulting covariance matrix from the fit?)
>
> If your problem is nonlinear, you can try my bindings to ODRPACK. It's
> main purpose for existence is to do orthogonal distance regression
> (errors in both input and output variables), but it can do ordinary
> least squares just fine. Just a quick note: the standard errors that are
> reported are scaled by the reduced chi-square value as is sometimes
> recommended. The full covariance matrix, however, is unscaled.
>
> http://starship.python.net/crew/kernr/source/odr-0.6.tar.gz
>
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Scott
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> rkern at ucsd.edu
>
> "In the fields of hell where the grass grows high
>  Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
>   -- Richard Harter

Scott M. Ransom              Address:  McGill Univ. Physics Dept.
Phone:  (514) 398-6492                 3600 University St., Rm 338
email:  ransom at physics.mcgill.ca       Montreal, QC  Canada H3A 2T8
GPG Fingerprint: 06A9 9553 78BE 16DB 407B  FFCA 9BFA B6FF FFD3 2989