[SciPy-user] gplt and xplt

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Aug 12 15:37:43 CDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:38:45AM -0400, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Gary Ruben apparently wrote:
> > I'd recommend you look (for mature cross platform packages
> > for Python) at gnuplot.py, Matplotlib and, if you need
> > certain plot types not supported by these, DISLIN (and
> > disipyl).
>
> Just to note on the particular issue raised by Gary:
> gnuplot.py faces exactly the same problem as gplt but relies
> on the user to implement apprpriate delays.  What is unclear
> from the descriptions that I've read is whether this is a
> gnuplot problem or a problem with pipes under Windows.
> If the former, do the gnuplot developers know about it?
>
> > I've mucked around with others but have rejected them for
> > one reason or other.
>
> Can you summarize your experience with biggles?
>  http://biggles.sourceforge.net/

I like biggles. It has a clean, object-based, API. It uses plotutils, so
it can generate all the formats you need, including output to an X
window. You generate your curves, etc., and add them to a plot object.

It doesn't have a matrix plot, though.

[What I don't like about matplotlib, for instance, is its insistence on
using matlab commands acting on a global plot instead of acting on plot
objects (like biggles does).]