[SciPy-user] gnuplot.py

Steve Schmerler elcorto at gmx.net
Sat Aug 14 04:41:23 CDT 2004

> Quoting Steve Schmerler <elcorto at gmx.net>:
>
> > I'm missing a function like gplt.figure() and gplt.close() in Gnuplot.
> >
> > Has anyone an idea how to pop up a fresh plot window, plot some stuff in
> it
> > and then create the next window? I looked through the gnuplot (4.0) man
> but
> > found only 'exit' and 'quit'.
>
> Since Gnuplot only manages one plotting window at a time, you need to
> create new
> instances.  If you use the extra support in IPython.GnuplotRuntime, you'll
> find
> a gp_new() function which does precisely that.  The equivalent with bare
> Gnuplot.py is, if I recall correctly, a call to the class constructor.

you mean:

    import Gnuplot
    g=Gnuplot.Gnuplot()

Every

    g=Gnuplot.Gnuplot()

kills the current wgnuplot.exe (I'm working on WinXP) as well as the current
plot window and starts a new gnuplot session (new wgnuplot.exe). The problem
is that I want to keep the former plot windows (I want them to appear one
after the other).

I've read read about the problems with Win on the IPython page. The function
you've mentioned (gp_new()) is a pure IPython feature, right?

bye
steve

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.