[SciPy-user] gnuplot.py

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Aug 14 19:06:26 CDT 2004

David Grant wrote:

>>Note that Gnuplot2 is IPython's enhanced Gnuplot, with support for a
>>few things the original lacks and which I find indispensable for
>>efficient interactive use.
>

> I'm just curious; was it not possible to just apply patches to
> Gnuplot.py instead of creating a new module?

I sent Michael Haggerty, the author of gnuplot.py, all of that code so he
could incorporate whatever he wanted into the mainline.  He took some things,
but not all, and I _need_ that functionality for everyday work.  Note that my
module requires Gnuplot.py, it simply imports it and overrides a few key
methods (plot and a few others) to provide better functionality.

Michael is free to take that code and use it.  But in the meantime, I want
ipython users to have an easy out-of-the box system, where they can simply get
the normal gnuplot, install ipython, and automatically get all the enhancements.

Best,