[SciPy-user] gplot documentation

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sun Aug 15 18:19:40 CDT 2004

    Fernando> Perhaps matplotlib also offers tools for this task; with
    Fernando> gnuplot it would definitely be a major uphill battle to
    Fernando> get it done. I'm sure you _could_, but you would feel
    Fernando> like you were beating your tool into doing something it
    Fernando> wasn't really designed for.  PyX, on the other hand
    Fernando> makes it very natural.  A good example of this is on the
    Fernando> pyx page: the code to produce a beautiful Sierpinski
    Fernando> triangle is just a few lines, because the problem is so
    Fernando> simple to express algorithmically.  For a 'plotting'
    Fernando> program this would be a far less natural task, I think.

I second  this.  While it is possible to draw block/state diagrams in
gnuplot/matplotlib/your-favorite plotting package because you can
create all the primitives (lines, text, rectangles, polygons) it's not
easy w/o some dedicated code to support the task.  One could
certainly add them, eg when John Gill wrote a table class for
matplotlib, creating a Cell and Table class to do the layout, but as
Fernando says, w/o this extra support, these diagrams won't come
naturally.

Some day some enterprising young soul will probably come along and add
support, but until then pyx, graphviz, omnigrafflle, or any one of the
many latex macro packages will serve better.

JDH