[SciPy-user] gplot documentation

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Aug 16 12:48:43 CDT 2004

>>>>> "FP" == Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> writes:

[snip]

I'm honestly surprised that more folks don't use this kind of
workflow.  All the interactive work for my PhD was via IPython and
several classes and Python scripts I wrote.  For plots I used Grace
with Nathan Gray's gracePlot.py and MayaVi for the 3D stuff.

    FP> Your questions have given me an idea about my next talk at
    FP> scipy'04.  Instead of talking only about the mathematical side
    FP> of this stuff, I may include a bit
    FP>   on this workflow.  It may not necessarily be obvious to
    FP>   everybody how
    FP> efficient this combination can be.  I still see people using
    FP> python as a regular write/compile/run language, just with the
    FP> convenience that the compilation step is automatic for them.

Most of my talk will focus on showing how Python (plus
several useful modules) combined with C/C++/Fortran is one hell of a
combination for scientific computation.  I think the math part is fun.
However it is not as generally useful (to the audience) as a good
demonstration of the amazing power of Python for scientific computing.

    FP> In my opinion, this is a dramatic underuse of python's
    FP> potential for scientific development.

Absolutely.

cheers,
prabhu