[SciPy-user] gplot documentation

gpajer at rider.edu gpajer at rider.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:47:31 CDT 2004

>     FP> Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
>     >>>>>>> "FP" == Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu>
>     >>>>>>> writes:
>     >> [snip]
>     >>
>     >> I'm honestly surprised that more folks don't use this kind of
>     >> workflow.  All the interactive work for my PhD was via IPython
>     >> and several classes and Python scripts I wrote.  For plots I
>     >> used Grace with Nathan Gray's gracePlot.py and MayaVi for the
>     >> 3D stuff.
>
>     FP> Well, that's my view as well, but I wonder if it's universally
>     FP> known or not.  Do you think it's worth presenting this to a
>     FP> large audience, or will we just get yawns about the
>     FP> obviousness of it all?
>
> No clue.  I guess some section of the audience will yawn one way or
> another (hopefully not either way though). ;-)

Here's a clue:  It's obvious to me that I'm underutilizing the interactive
capabilities of python.  It's not obvious to me what combination of
facilities will put me in that state of being "one with the system".
There are a lot of combinations and permutations, each with a learning
curve to get through even before you can make a judgement.  I've been
going through this process of exploration for a year or so, trying to find
my way out of the write/compile/run rut.  I'm grateful to anyone who can
point out shortcuts or workflow/structure ideas.

I don't think you would generate yawns in a presentation to a wide
audience.  The landscape is rather rich with possibilities, and I'm sure
no one in the audience will have constructed the same system.  Everyone
would get something out of such a talk.