[SciPy-user] Incorporating SUNDIALS in SciPy

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Dec 13 14:02:49 CST 2004

Jan-Jan van der Vyver wrote:

>Dear Travis,
>
>What is difficult though is solving nonlinear coupled dfifferential
>equations (using Simulink at the moment :-/ ). I can write this all in
>one function, but that requires a rewrite everytime. I would prefer to
>write function objects I can place on a grid/network/graph, add an
>external signal, and solve for that. This is not a SciPy problem per se,
>but more due to my lack of experience with ODE solvers.

Thanks for this good feedback.  Does SUNDAILS code help in constructing
modular solvers like this?  It is certainly desireable to create tools
that allow solutions that are easier and faster for the user, but I was
not sure exactly what direction was wanted.

The only real hindrance to incorporating code from SUNDAILS is time and
issues of "code-bloat" (i.e. making sure we just grab pieces that are
really solving new problems, or solving them differently).  I'm also not
opposed to replacing solvers in SciPy with better solvers if
functionality is not lost.

-Travis