[SciPy-user] compiling on Windows: getting closer

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Sat Jan 3 09:55:02 CST 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Gary Pajer wrote:

> > > Lib\special\specfun\specfun.f:1513: Internal compiler error in
> > > emit_swap_insn, a
> > > t reg-stack.c:990
> > > Please submit a full bug report,
> > > with preprocessed source if appropriate.
> > > See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
> > > error: failure during compile (exit status = 1)

> -
> > >
> > > any clues?
> >
> > Could you try to find a work around to this compiler bug?
> > Or just comment the offending function in specfun.f out in
> > order to complete scipy completion.
> >
> > Pearu
>
> OK, I'll do that.
> This is really a compiler bug?

Yes, any 'Internal compiler error' indicates a bug in compiler.
google emit_swap_insn gives more info.

> I'm an amateur and hence wasn't sure exactly what the message meant.
> What compiler do the pros use?
> I can try a newer mingw32, or perhaps the cygwin gcc.  I'll play around.

I am not on Windows (yet), but on Linux compiling specfun.f with gcc has
never caused any trouble to me, starting from gcc version 2.95. Google
indicates that the compiler bug above is platform dependent.

Pearu