[SciPy-user] Noticed scipy for py2.3 binary, but have a problem

Gary Ruben gazzar at email.com
Tue Jan 27 18:46:17 CST 2004

I've been waiting impatiently for months for a Windows binary installer for python 2.3 to appear and I see one has very quietly snuck onto the download page. Woohoo! methinks. However, at first attempt, I get

>>> from scipy import *

Traceback (most recent call last):
    import scipy
  File "C:\APPS\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\scipy\__init__.py", line 11, in -toplevel-
    from scipy_base import *
  File "C:\APPS\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\scipy_base\__init__.py", line 117, in -toplevel-
    import fastumath  # no need to use scipy_base.fastumath
ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.

I'm running Win98, Python 2.3.3 (and will be putting it on my Win2000 machine when I get it working).
I notice that there's a fastumath.pyd in scipy_base, but should there also be a .dll file in here? In fact, there are no dlls in any of the scipy directories.

Gary Ruben