[SciPy-user] BLAS optimized matrix multiplication

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Jun 1 12:44:17 CDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Kirill Lapshin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a new user, my apologies if that is a FAQ, but quick googling
> around did not reveal much info.
>
> I tried SciPy 0.3 with Numeric 23.1 on Windows, and dot seems to be very
> slow, looks like it is not using ATLAS.

Scipy 0.3 win32 installer should use ATLAS 3.6.0 that is optimized for
PIII. Note that scipy.dot refers to Numeric/dotblas.dot function:

In [1]: import scipy

In [2]: scipy.dot.__module__
Out[2]: 'dotblas'

(at least on my debian box).

> My quick research shows that there is a dotblas module, which is
> optional in Numeric, and apparently binaries available from Numeric
> sourceforge page do not include it (no wonder, they don't distribute ATLAS).
>
> However, since SciPy does distribute ATLAS, would it be possible to
> include dotblas in SciPy? Or maybe something similar already available
> in SciPy but I don't see it?

Scipy has linalg that contains wrappers to blas/lapack libraries and use
ATLAS when available. See

  dir(scipy.linalg.cblas)
  dir(scipy.linalg.fblas)
  dir(scipy.linalg.clapack)
  dir(scipy.linalg.flapack)

to learn which routines are wrapped. It is easy to add missing wrappers
when required.

> On absolutely unrelated note, is there any plans on next release? I've
> seen somewhere on scipy.org statement that you guys want to release
> 0.3.1 soon after 0.3. Just checking.

Yes, I think we should release 0.3.1 before summer.

Regards,
Pearu