[SciPy-user] Error building statlib.so

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Sat Mar 13 02:49:05 CST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:

> For some reason, stats/statlib refuses to build for me anymore. I did
> not make any changes to this file, yet on the last few build attempts I
> get the error below, which is obviously related to not seeing the
> python framework. However, I have the updated gnufcompiler.py, which
> contains the following for OSX:
>
> opt.extend(["-Wl,-framework","-Wl,Python","-lcc_dynamic","-bundle"])
>
> So, I'm completely at a loss as to why these do not get appended to the
> compile options.
>
> Any ideas?

Acctually, the latest CVS version of gnufcompiler.py contains

          if sys.platform=='darwin':
             if sys.executable.startswith('/usr/bin'):
                 # This is when Python is from Apple framework
                 opt.extend(["-Wl,-framework","-Wl,Python"])
             #else we are running in Fink python.
             opt.extend(["-lcc_dynamic","-bundle"])
          else:

which means that in your case Python is assumed to be Fink Python but
obviously (?) you are using Apple Python that is just installed to
nonstandard (?) location.
Could you guys and girls running on OSX find out what is the most robust
way to determine that Python is either of Apple or Fink one? May be
sys.version should be used instead of sys.executable for that?

Thanks,
Pearu