[SciPy-user] Re: xplt documentation

Nadav Horesh nadavh at visionsense.com
Thu May 6 05:42:35 CDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From:	John Hunter [mailto:jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu]
Sent:	Tue 04-May-04 15:31
To:	SciPy Users List
Cc:	Nadav Horesh
Subject:	Re: [SciPy-user] Re: xplt documentation

    Arnd> There is a patch on sourceforge for gnuplot which allows for
    Arnd> bitmap images (ie. matrices). I once tried it out and it is
    Arnd> very nice.  It might take a little time until this gets
    Arnd> integrated as the gnuplot team seems to be a bit busy with
    Arnd> after release issues.

    Arnd> If you really want to go for large matrices have a look at
    Arnd> MayaVi, http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/ In particular
    Arnd> http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/docs/guide/x967.html#TOOLS

>Also the fairly new imshow in matplotlib plots grayscale and
>pseudocolor numeric/numarray arrays.  This replaces the painfully slow
>pcolor which was unusable except for small arrays.  The guts of imshow
>are implemented entirely in numeric and extension could
>handle large arrays efficiently.  If you encounter performance issues,
>I'd like to know about it!

Indeed this is the best opton I have at the moment to fast-create a false-colour maps for large matrices.

>Right now the only false colormap is ColormapJet (see
>examples/pcolor_demo2.py) but you can define your own by subclassing
>matplotlib.colors.Colormap.

I played for some time with the spectrum of colour avaiable in gnuplot's "set palette" command, and finally I picked one that is very close to matplotlib's, so there is nothing really to complain about.

>JDH

  Thanks,
     Nadav.