[SciPy-user] Logistic Regression Modules?

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri May 7 19:54:24 CDT 2004

Funkmeister <funkmeister at lynxseismicdata.com> writes:

> Hello SciPy Users, I am an experienced python user, but I am rather
> new to SciPy and a little rusty with Stats applications so I apologize
> now for asking a possibly obvious question.
>
> I am working with the GRASS GIS system and need to do some logistic
> regression computations. Are there any modules in SciPy to do this, or
> do I need to write them? In the documentation i found genlogistic and
> logistic under the statistical functions. Would I be able to use these
> functions to do the regression analysis?

I'm guessing not.  The simplest approach would be to wrap a call to
R's glm function via Rpy.

The second simplest would be to plug in the likelihood function and
optimize (which is usually how one used to do this -- I wrote one for
my thesis, via newton-raphson, eons ago (well, mid 90's).

You could also simulate the optimization via EM, but that's a pretty
slow approach.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.