[SciPy-user] help and lazy importer (again or still ?)

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue May 11 14:56:26 CDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Arnd Baecker wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2004, Pearu Peterson wrote:
> [...]
> > > Case 3
> > > ------
> > >
> > > from scipy.integrate import odeint
> > >
> > > def f(x):
> > >    """doc string for f(x)"""
> > >    return x*x

> > > [[gives the help on f and then, after returning from the pager: ]]
> > > /home/python/PYTHON_New/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/plt/interface.pyc
> > > No module named wxPython
> > > /home/python/PYTHON_New/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/plt/__init__.pyc
> > > No module named wxPython

> > I wouldn't disable these messages yet as they are informative for users
> > who try to use scipy.plt module (that will not work without wxPython) as
> > well as they appear only once. Maybe these messages should appear as
> > warnings, though, then one can disable them using python warnings system..
>
> I am not fully convinced ;-):

Ok, ok ;) The issue is fixed in CVS. Well, you won't see 'No module named
PIL' messages anymore until trying to use PIL stuff. Sometimes you might
see 'No module named wxPython', (e.g. when asking help('scipy')) but not
with help(f) or help('scipy.linalg'). I'll fix this  sometimes later
(feel free to file a bug report to roundup so that it won't be
forgotten).

Thanks,
Pearu