[SciPy-user] Problem when building scipy 0.3 for alpha OSF1

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Wed May 19 10:05:17 CDT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Jean-Luc Menut wrote:

> > First try installing scipy_core packages:
> Ok
>
> >   cd scipy_core
> >   python setup.py install
>
> There is no setup.py in scipy_core. I tried to build setup_scipy_base.py
> in scipy_base but it need scipy_distutils and if i try to build
> setup_scipy_distutils.py in scipy_distutils, i have this message :
>
> scipy_distutils Version 0.3.0_27.455
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "setup_scipy_distutils.py", line 27, in ?
>      from core import setup
>    File "core.py", line 5, in ?
>      from scipy_distutils.dist import Distribution
> ImportError: No module named scipy_distutils.dist

So, the scipy tar-balls are not complete..

I suggest getting scipy from CVS. See

  http://www.scipy.org/cvs/

(if there will be any bug fixes for your platform then you would need CVS
version of scipy anyway..)

Or you can add /path/to/scipy_core to PYTHONPATH environment variable and
then try building scipy_base.

Pearu