[SciPy-user] fmin won't optimize

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Sat Nov 6 11:14:25 CST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Yaroslav Bulatov wrote:

> I'm fitting Gibbs distribution to data using maximum likelihood. If I
> use fmin_powell, it works, but when I use fmin, it terminates after 1
> iteration regardless of starting point. The log-likelihood function is
> convex. Any idea why this would happen?

Try `x0=[0.0, 0.0, 0.0]` in your code. The problem that integer initial
value to fmin terminates iteration immidiately should be fixed in scipy
CVS. Here is the output from your program that I get:

Optimization terminated successfully.
          Current function value: 3.295837
          Iterations: 269
          Function evaluations: 510