[SciPy-user] MDP 1.0.0 and symeig 1.0 released

p.berkes at biologie.hu-berlin.de p.berkes at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 17 03:18:24 CST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 p.berkes at biologie.hu-berlin.de wrote:
>
> > 'symeig' is now distributed also as an independent package:
> >
> > http://mdp-toolkit.sourceforge.net/symeig.html
> >
> > Since the LAPACK functions wrapped by 'symeig' seem to be of general
> > interest, you might want to consider including it in SciPy. The
> > distribution includes the .pyf file used to generate the wrappers, the
> > symeig function itself, and a test suite. Tiziano and I are ready to
> > help with the inclusion process if needed. 'symeig' is currently released
> > under LGPL, but we might change the licence if it conflicts with
> > that of SciPy.
>
> I took a quick look at symeig... its .pyf file uses a bit different
> "style" compared to what's in linalg/generic_flapack.pyf and so simple
> copy&paste may not be appropriate. I think I'll create signatures
> for syevr, heevr, sygv, hegv, sygvd, hegvd, sygvx, hegvx myself
> and copy the test suite from symeig if that's alright with you.

You're of course welcome to generate a more appropriate .pyf file. You
might also have some tips on how to make it more efficient.
However, we strongly suggest to keep the default values we have chosen,
since some of the values in the LAPACK documentation seem to be wrong.

By the way, does anybody else has the same problem with the symeig test as
Nils Wagner?

thanks,
pietro.