[SciPy-user] Sparse v. dense matrix, SVD and LSI-like analysis

Nick Arnett narnett at mccmedia.com
Wed Nov 17 13:41:13 CST 2004

Robert Kern wrote:

> An SVD is not the same as an eigen decomposition.
>
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EigenDecomposition.html
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SingularValueDecomposition.html

That dawned on me not too long after posting.  Fuzzy brain this week, a
birth and a death in the family a few days apart.

> In any case, all of the linalg.* functions only operate on dense arrays,
> not sparse matrices.

Ummm, now I'm thinking I'm in over my head.  SVD is a matrix operation
isn't it?  I was imagining that an array of mostly zeros would be the
equivalent of a sparse matrix, so that SVD would apply to it for what
I'm doing, which is related to latent semantic analysis.

Am I way off-base here?  My understanding of Scipy isn't great,
compounded by a less-than-great grasp of the mathematics.  Learning as
go, in large part.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Nick