[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac

Joe Cooper joe at enthought.com
Tue Nov 23 14:16:27 CST 2004

Hey Robert,

Perfect timing.  I'm in the midst of preparing a new Enthon for Windows
(and peripherally one for Fedora).  We should probably chat sometime
about making sure most things are roughly functionally
compatible/equivalent, so that folks writing tutorials and other docs
can just say "install Enthon for your OS".

I had started in on the Enthon on OS X endeavor about six months ago,
but only a few packages ever came of it.  The packaging on Mac is quite
abyssmal, so there isn't much to be gained by handing off the packages I
did back then--you pretty much just have to build the software by hand,
and then push the pretty "Go" button and it all gets piled up together
into an archive.  I do have simple aap recipes for almost everything in
Enthon on Windows, which you might find useful in automating your
construction on Mac, since the concept is the same for the Wise
installer.  It's nicer to say "aap -vf scipy.aap" than to have to go
download all of the bits and pieces.

On the Kiva, Chaco, Traits front, we'll want to rope Eric into a
conversation.  I think there are some outstanding issues with
integrating the SVN versions.

One thing we're doing with the next version is to integrate IPython as
kind of the de facto interactive python.  There's a scipy config file
that works well and makes writing tutorials simpler, since it's possible
to preload all of the relevant modules.