[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 23 17:57:35 CST 2004

John Hunter wrote:

>     Robert> Has anyone compiled these for the Mac outside of
>     Robert> Fink/Gentoo/DarwinPorts? With wxPython and Tkinter,
>     Robert> someone else has done the work to make installation of the
>     Robert> underlying libraries easy enough that I can package them
>     Robert> up. As far as I know, no one has done so for GTK+ and I'm
>     Robert> not willing to do so.
>
> I've done it from src for gtk-2, pygtk and gtkglext on 10.3.  It was a
> pain, yes.  I'd be happy to help out here time permitting if you let
> me know what you need, but I've not built darwin packages before so I
> may not be of much use.  I for one would like to see these in the OSX
> enthon -- I just didn't have the guts to ask :-).

I, for one, want to avoid anything that is going to require the user or
the installer to add paths to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. If pygtk can be made
reasonably stand-alone, I'll package it. For example, the wxPython puts
all of the wxWidgets stuff under /usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.5.3.1
  (i.e. wxWidgets was configured with "./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.5.3.1"). I'm not sure what
they do to make sure wxPython can find the shared libraries at runtime.
If you can figure that out, I'll work on packaging it up.

I make no guarantees as to priority, however.  :-)

> The software I develop for work relies heavily on gtkglext / pygtk /
> vtk.  For the record, these packages now work seamlessly together on
> win32.  I'm gearing up to release my EEG/MRI analysis tools; the
> target audience is primarily clinicians who use win32 almost
> exclusively -- many of whom will never have heard of python.  I was
> planning on figuring out how to build an all-in-one win32 installer
> with all the goodies included for these folks.

Perhaps Joe might be willing to share the techniques and automation
scripts he uses to build Enthon on Windows so other people could make
their own Everything-and-the-Kitchen-Sink distributions.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter