[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 23 21:24:16 CST 2004

    Fernando> That's probably a wise choice, actually.  Forcing users
    Fernando> of the patented stuff to jump through an extra hoop will
    Fernando> help prevent accidental misuse of those algorithms.

I'm more interested in giving a potential user of my software a
convenient install than I am in saving a potential developer from
inadvertently writing some commercial software that requires a
license.  My guess is that 99% of the people who will use enthon/OSX
satisfy the constraint of not using the patented classes in a
commercial app, so my preference would be to include it with a
disclaimer.

If someone ignores a suitably positioned disclaimer at the download
site *and* inadvertently develops an app that requires a license *and*
wants to distribute it commercially -- we're talking about a
vanishingly small subset here -- then they do so at their own peril.

Of course I don't second guess Robert's decision since he is the one
doing the hard work, but this is how I see it.

JDH