[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Nov 26 18:43:29 CST 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 3:16 PM, Joe Cooper wrote:

> I had started in on the Enthon on OS X endeavor about six months ago,
> but only a few packages ever came of it.  The packaging on Mac is
> quite abyssmal, so there isn't much to be gained by handing off the
> packages I did back then--you pretty much just have to build the
> software by hand, and then push the pretty "Go" button and it all gets
> piled up together into an archive.  I do have simple aap recipes for
> almost everything in Enthon on Windows, which you might find useful in
> automating your construction on Mac, since the concept is the same for
> the Wise installer.  It's nicer to say "aap -vf scipy.aap" than to
> have to go download all of the bits and pieces.

You might want to consider looking bdist_mpkg, which is shipped in
py2app 0.1.5.  You can use this to build an OS X metapackage from an
existing setup.py script (typically with no modifications!).  You can
then just make an Enthought metapackage that references all of these
and allows for them all to be installed in one fell swoop.

I'll probably be releasing 0.2 somewhat soon, but I think most of the
user-visible changes will be that modulegraph is going to be its own
cross-platform package, since it is useful to other projects such as
py2exe, and a bunch of new recipes for py2app (PyOpenGL, PyQt, ...).

-bob