[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac - pygame notes

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sat Nov 27 18:15:28 CST 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 12:28 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> Andrew Straw wrote:
>> would you be willing to include pygame (and SDL, SDL_ttf2,
>> libfreetype, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SMPEG) if I built it?
>
> Sure. Why not?  :-)

Are LGPL packages going to be allowed in Enthon? pygame, SDL, and SDL_*
are all LGPL, we may want to keep them out of Enthon if it's
BSD-licensed code only...

> Do the standard 1.2.7 frameworks work? or do you have to compile more
> things? I don't know if they include SMPEG in the frameworks.
>
> http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.7.pkg.tar.gz

This standard framework appears to work.  In addition to the above
.pkg, you'd probably also want to distribute:

http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/release/SDL_image
-1.2.3.pkg.tar.gz
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL_mixer
-1.2.5.pkg.tar.gz
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/release/SDL_ttf-2.0.6.pkg.tar.gz

To build pygame, however, you will need the following *-devel .pkgs,
which include the header files.  Note that the default installation
location for these is in ~/Libraries/Frameworks, whereas pygame's
config.py looks first in /Libraries/Frameworks.  So, you will either
have to clean out /Libraries/Frameworks/SDL* before building pygame or
manually edit pygame/config.py to check ~/Libraries/Frameworks first.

http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-devel-1.2.7.pkg.tar.gz
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/release/SDL_image-devel
-1.2.3.pkg.tar.gz
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL_mixer-devel
-1.2.5.pkg.tar.gz
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/release/SDL_ttf-devel
-2.0.6.pkg.tar.gz

I couldn't find a framework smpeg, so that'll have to wait...

> I'm going to want to be able to build everything myself, so all you
> have to do is figure out how to build it in an acceptable way. pygame
> itself should be packaged up with Bob Ippolito's bdist_mpkg:

I tested this after building pygame with the above frameworks, and
bdist_mpkg seems to work fine for pygame.  This was my first go using
bdist_mpkg (I've recently returned from an OS X development hiatus...)
and bdist_mpkg looks awesome.  Thanks again, Bob!

Note: I didn't dig into the details of how the SDL_* packages handled
libfreetype, libjpeg, and libpng, but I cleared out all relevant
.dylibs from my /usr/local/lib directory before doing this, and
everything appears to work, so I think it's all OK.

> Packaging up pygame (and pygtk, too; you're not alone) is, I think,
> going to be low on my list of priorities.

Understood.  But it does work. :)

Cheers!
Andrew