[SciPy-user] Matrix Structure Plots in scipy ?

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Oct 6 02:22:56 CDT 2004

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank Pearu for implementing
Matrix Market I/O support !

The number of outputs is more than described in help (io.mmio)

    mmread(source)
        Reads the contents of the Matrix Market file 'filename' into the
matrix 'A'.

        Inputs:

          source    - Matrix Market filename (extension .mtx) or open
file object.

        Outputs:

          a         - sparse or full matrix

Actually

b,m,n,s = mmread('young1c')

should be used.

Is it possible to generate matrix structure plots in scipy ?
http://math.nist.gov/MatrixMarket/structureplots.html

BTW, there is another "important" matrix format namely matrices
generated by NASTRAN (commercial Finite Element program).There exists
already a tool that can read and write both dense and sparse matrices,
either real or complex, either little or big endian, and either text
(any precision) or binary. You can find the code by downloading

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/tops/tops/usr/extra/op4tools/

Pearu, please can you manage the support of this format in scipy too ?
I believe devoutly, that many users will appreciate this feature.

Thanks in advance

                                     Nils