[SciPy-user] Re[2]: Unexpected behavior (bug?): scipy x Numeric.argmin

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 11 22:24:26 CDT 2004

krivilli at unberwoot.net wrote:
> rkern at ucsd.edu wrote:
[snip]
>>However, I believe you should be using the functions
>>logical_not(alltrue(tmp)) instead of argmin(tmp). Those functions
>>accurately represent the semantics of the operation you want to perform.
>
> -Although this way should work out with the example I gave you, it wont
> work for all cases I'm dealing with, cuz i'm interested on the index of
> the element in the array, and not only in a boolean result.

Ah, yes. Of course, because it's argmin(), not minimum.reduce(). Don't
mind me; I'm just a raving loon.

But yes, the fact that argmin() doesn't work on unsigned arrays is a bug
and needs to be fixed, in scipy if not Numeric. I'll look into it
tonight. If the raving looniness doesn't strike again, I might even find
a workable answer.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu