[SciPy-user] eigenvalues of sparse matrix

David Grant david at dwavesys.com
Thu Oct 28 12:32:44 CDT 2004

Travis Oliphant wrote:

>> Does anyone know how much work it would be to get ARPACK support in
>> scipy?  Even just minimal support.  This is totally new ground for
>> me, so I'd like to know if I'm biting off more than I can chew.
>

> After looking over ARPACK, it looks to me that you could get a
> functional ARPACK interface in 1-2 days, using f2py.   Then, you could
> look at the linalg/iterative  methods that interface with
> reverse-communication fortran code to get an idea how you might write
> simpler Python wrappers to the raw wrappers produced by f2py.

So use f2py.  Then look at the stuff here: *http://tinyurl.com/3uzmy* to
figure out how to get reverse-communication to work, then write
higher-level code which talks to the python code generated by f2py?

> I don't think this would be hard at all.  It would be a good way for
> you to learn f2py, if you are not already familiar with it.  Also, you
> might notice how iterative and sparse f2py interfaces use a (very
> simple) templating mechanism  (in scipy_distutils/from_template.py)
> so that interfaces for all four precisions are maintained with a
> single code-base.
>
> But, if you produce an interface for the precision you care about, I
> could handle converting it to a general-purpose interface for all
> precisions.

ok

> Is the ARPACK code distributible in Python?

ARPACK is "freely distributable" or "public domain".  I've seen both of
these used to describe ARPACK's license or lack-therof.

--
David J. Grant
Scientific Officer

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION

This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, is
confidential. The information is intended only for use by the recipient
named above. If you have received this electronic message in error,
please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of
information received in error is strictly prohibited.