[SciPy-user] g2c-pic

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Oct 28 12:36:13 CDT 2004

 <41812971.5070606 at dwavesys.com>David Grant writes:
<snip>

>I've seen -fPIC used a lot...  Just looked at it's description on man
>gcc and I'm thinking that this will work on my machine but perhaps not
>on others?

well, yes and no...
I ran into this issue when I started using an AMD64 machine -- every
library must be compiled with -fPIC or strange things happen on AMD64.

The manual page says it will "only work on some architectures" but I
don't think you actually need to worry about this. I can't remember
exactly anymore but I think "some" in this definition encompasses very
esoteric setups you'll likely never see. I've been paying attention to
things that got compiled with the flag on all machines I use for a
while now, and its never been a problem on any combination of hardware
/ free UNIX (inluding linux)  / compiler platform to date.

I wouldn't think twice about it, unless you're on some ill-used
architecture that few people have even heard of.

Just my $.02...

-tom