[SciPy-user] Disney pkg mentioned at SciPy04?

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Wed Sep 8 00:16:55 CDT 2004

Hey Randy,

I saw this paper at PyCon.  Here is a reference to the paper.

*http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/29/

I specifically mentioned its ability to reload python modules on the fly
and automatically update any "live" objects in the system to the new
class definitions that were just reloaded.  This can streamline
development of GUI frameworks (and others) quite a bit.  We haven't
gotten this into Envisage yet, but want to.

If you search the paper referenced above for a section called
"Redefining methods" you'll find a brief description of the feature.

I just looked through the source code, and the magic appears to happen
in the "Finder" module here:

    \panda\direct\src\showbase\Finder.py

It looks like "\panda\direct\src\fsm\State.py" might also play a role.

I'll see if I can figure out the minimum code that needs to be extracted
so that it can be used elsewhere...  I've copied Shalin Shodhan on the
mail as he authoered the PyCon paper.

thanks,
eric

*