[SciPy-user] installing numeric, newbie

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Sep 16 08:41:21 CDT 2004

Before I get into my email, I noted earlier that you were using gentoo.
Why not just 'emerge -v numeric'? It should take care of dependencies
automatically. You might need to do some tweaking to your USE flags to
enable optional dependencies that you want.

 <32900.65.110.147.198.1095310492.squirrel at 65.110.147.198>"Darren Dale" writes:
>>     Darren> cannot find -llapack collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>     Darren> error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
>>
>> Where exactly on your system is liblapack.* ?  You need to make sure
>> it is in your library path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) or specify the directory
>> with a -L flag, or put a symlink to it in /usr/lib.  Sometimes, but
>> rarely, it can help to do a
>>
>>> sudo /sbin/ldconfig
>>
>> after installing a new library.

This must always be done when installing a new library. A lot of the
time it is transparent since 'make install' will run it for you, and
distributions usually run it in startup scripts.

>liblapack.a, libcblas.a,libatlas.a and libf77blas,a live in /usr/lib.
>cblas.h and clapack.h are in /usr/include, and libg2c.a is in
>/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4

/usr/lib must be listed in /etc/ld.so.conf for ldconfig to pick up on
it. I can't imagine its not listed there, though...

<snip>

>Slightly off topic, LD_LIBRARY_PATH did not exist, should I add it to
>/etc/profile?

It is normal for this environment variable not to exist. I believe
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is only for finding libraries at runtime, so would not
affect a compile... don't quote me on that though.

My only guess is that the libraries in question are not readable by the
user running setup.py. Try an 'ldd /usr/lib/liblapack.a' (and the rest
of the libraries), I believe it will give an error message if you don't
have the permissions it needs, which happen to correspond to the
permissions needed for compiling software with it.

Good luck,

-tom