[SciPy-user] installing numeric, newbie

Andrew Fant andrew.fant at tufts.edu
Thu Sep 16 15:52:43 CDT 2004

On the topic of Gentoo and SciPy I have a related question.   Gentoo is in
the process of virtualizing blas and lapack so that they always appear to
be /usr/lib/libblas.{so|a} and /usr/lib/liblapack.{so.a}, no matter whether
they are the reference implementation or the atlas optimized version.  The
good news is that there is an ebuild in testing for SciPy that does
successfully build it on Gentoo.  The problem is that it appears that
setup.py in SciPy uses the library name to identify the capacities of the
library.  Because the library found is libblas.so, there is no threading
and no attempt to take full advantage of the atlas implementation.

Is there any way to force setup.py to use the atlas interface?  There are
blas-config and lapack-config programs that work like gnome-config which
can provide the includes and library search directories for the active
version of blas and lapack, but I am not sure that my python-fu is up to
patching the setup.py file myself.  I'd appreciate any hints and
suggestions that other people have.  If there are other gentoo types
reading this, it's bug #51926 in bugzilla.

Thanks,
	Andy

P.S.  The Numeric and f2py ebuilds work just fine for building SciPy on
Gentoo, fwiw.

--On Thursday, September 16, 2004 09:41:21 -0400 tom fogal