[SciPy-user] using integrate.odeint and optimize.fsolve in threadsafe mode

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:34:44 CDT 2004

Elisabeth Maschke-Dutz wrote:
> Hello,
> we are using integrate.odeint and optimize.fsolve in a product of the
> Zope environment enabled for
> multi-threading support  and we have the problem that  processes  which
> uses scipy at the same
> time are resulting in a crash of the Zope server. We wonder if there is
> a way to enable the
> mentioned routines for the use  in multithreaded applications and how to
> do this.
> We would appreciate if anyone can give us an advice or refer us to some
> further information.
> Thanks in advance
>                      Elisabeth

If appropriate locks were put into place before the underlying fortran
were called, then those codes could be made threadsafe.  I'm not exactly
sure how to do that without taking the time to study threadsafe
programming in more detail, but it seems possible, in principle.

Perhaps someone with more threading experience could chime in?

-Travis