[SciPy-user] ANN: Veusz 0.5 - a scientific plotting package

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sun Apr 17 09:51:58 CDT 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Jeremy Sanders apparently wrote:
> http://home.gna.org/veusz/

> Veusz is a scientific plotting package written in Python
> (currently 100% Python). It uses PyQt for display and
> user-interfaces, and numarray for handling the numeric
> data. Veusz is designed to produce publication-ready
> Postscript output.

> Veusz provides a GUI, command line and scripting interface (based on
> Python) to its plotting facilities. The plots are built using an
> object-based system to provide a consistent interface.

Let me provide a sample "user's perspective".

1. Since this is posted to the SciPy list, I assume the
   author is aware that many people on this list are using
   Matplotlib, which is excellent.  Others I take it are
   using Chaco. Others are using Gnuplot.py.
2. Yet there is no direct comparison with these other
   packages.  I have to guess that the key point is the GUI
   interface, whose facilities are not described in detail.
3. I'm generally willing to try out new software if
   I understand well enough that it has cool new potential,
   but from this posting I do not.
4. Perhaps most importantly: there are two very serious
   projects being discussed regularly on this list (mostly
   Matplotlib but also Chaco).  So naturally I wonder if the
   author might not more fruitfully be finding a way to
   collaborate with these.  Not that it is really any of my
   business of course, but as I said I am just providing
   a sample "user's perspective".

Cheers,
Alan Isaac