[SciPy-user] Nasty side effect of importing rpy in scipy.stats

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Aug 12 16:14:14 CDT 2005

Just a heads up here folks...

We couldn't figure out why we had trouble Ctl-C-ing out of our applications.
Further, when we did we often got core dumps.  If gdb could tell us anything
(the stack was often correupt), it often told us it was in the bowels of
libR.  We don't use Rpy in our app, but we do use scipy.  A side-effect of
the scipy import is for scipy.stats to try to import Rpy.  That import has
the side effect of creating and starting a new thread that starts up an R
event loop.  R provides its own wrapper around select (R_SelectEx) that
installs its own SIGINT handler.  Needless to say, this is bad on a couple
different levels.  My workaround was to comment out the attempted import of
Rpy in scipy.stats (since we don't use R via that route).

Caveat emptor...

--
Skip Montanaro
skip at pobox.com