[SciPy-user] New book on python and engineering

Andrew Fant andrew.fant at tufts.edu
Tue Aug 16 12:55:22 CDT 2005

Howey, David A wrote:

> This book may be of interest to the list:
>
> http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521852870
>
> "Numerical Methods in Engineering with Python
> Jaan Kiusalaas
> Pennsylvania State University"
>
> Looks pretty good, although why he ignores the object oriented nature of
> python, I know not (read the excerpt)

I just looked on Amazon, and the second hit for "numerical methods
python" was this book:

"Python Scripting for Computational Science (Texts in Computational
Science and Engineering)"
Hans P. Langtangen

Given that the price is similar to the aforementioned Numerical Methods
text, has anyone from the list had a chance to read both of these yet,
or even just the later?  I'm trying to curb a nasty book-buying
addiction, but I feel like I ought to get ONE of these.  Any reviews or
opinions from someone who has actually seen them would be really helpful.

Thanks,
	Andy