[SciPy-user] A simple 3d OpenGL viewer and color map for matrices

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Thu Aug 25 04:58:53 CDT 2005

    Robert> europa100 at comcast.net wrote:
    >> Ok, I get it.  There is Maya and there is MayaVi.  I got the
    >> MayaVi.  What relationship is there between these two programs
    >> or whatever.

    Robert> None.

Yes that is correct.  My ignorance 4 years ago (when I picked the name
MayaVi) is the cause for the confusion.  However, if you read the
first paragraph of the mayavi site it should be evident that MayaVi
has nothing to do whatsoever with Maya.

Choosing a name (that I liked) took quite a bit of time and at the
time I did not think of Maya.  IIRC I searched on google for MayaVi
and had no relevant hits and figured that I could use the name.

As Ryan Krauss said, it might take a little while and patience to
figure out the VTK file formats.  However there is (terse)
documentation on the VTK file format and there is pyvtk (which Noel
has mentioned).  The trouble with a generic 3D data visualizer is that
3D data *is* inherently harder to represent.  However, I do see that
it could be better documented and made a little easier.  I'll keep
that in mind for the future.

cheers,
prabhu