[SciPy-user] problem using interp2d

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 25 06:48:52 CDT 2005

Christian Kristukat wrote:

> I tried to get 2d interpolation to work without success some month ago
> and finally I found an alternative. CDAT (http://esg.llnl.gov/cdat/) has
> a standalone python module for 2d interpolation called natgrid. It works
> like a charm. You can feed in a cloud of points and you get back
> interpolated data on a rectangular grid.
>
> It would be very nice to have this included in scipy.

Unfortunately, we cannot use natgrid directly since it is GPLed (it
comes from NCAR Graphics).

  http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ng4.4/

Hmm, CDAT as a whole seems to prohibit commercial use. Naughty of them.

The website of the original author of natural-neighbor interpolation
algorithm, Dave Watson, does not appear to be online at the moment.

If someone wants to code the algorithm using the available literature,
we'd be more than happy to include it.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu