[SciPy-user] problem using interp2d

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 29 16:43:11 CDT 2005

Fred Clare wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2005, at 7:35 PM, Alan G Isaac wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Fred Clare apparently wrote:
>>
>>> The deal he gave us was that
>>> he would allow this under the conditions:
>>>     1.)  We purchase his book "nngridr - An Implementation of
>>>          Natural Neighbor Interpolation" (which he published privately).
>>>     2.)  We call the function something other than "nngridr."
>>>     3.)  We provide adequate documentation.
>>
>> Was the copyright for this release discussed?
>
>   UCAR holds the copyright for all files in our distribution
>   and they are distributed under the GPL as noted in the
>   prologue to each file.

I believe Alan means to say "license" instead of "copyright" here. The
broader question is, "Was this deal limited to UCAR and the inclusion of
nngridr in NCAR Graphics specifically? Should we just ask Dave Watson
ourselves?"

>> And what is the copyright on the original code?
>
>    Dave Watson retains the copyright to his original "nngridr" code.

Your two statements are contradictory. UCAR certainly does not hold
copyright on all of the files in its distribution. It holds copyright
only on those parts which it has written; it has licenses to
redistribute the other parts of the code like Dave Watson's code.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter