[SciPy-user] egg dependency?

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 2 15:25:12 CST 2005

I just tried to install the new scipy 0.6.1 on my ubuntu linux, and
got hit with

peds-pc311:~/python/src/scipy_core-0.6.1> spsi
Running from scipy core source directory.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 38, in ?
    setup_package()
  File "setup.py", line 7, in setup_package
    from scipy.distutils.core import setup
  File "/home/jdhunter/python/src/scipy_core-0.6.1/scipy/distutils/core.py", line 42, in ?
    from setuptools.command import bdist_egg, develop, easy_install, egg_info
ImportError: cannot import name bdist_egg

If the goal is to make scipy core as easy to install as Numeric, is it
wise to require an egg dependency? In my understanding, egg still has
installation issues of it's own -- eg, it is not installed with the
python2.4 in Ubuntu Hoary, which is only 6-7 months old.

My apologies if I am missing something obvious, because I haven't been
able to follow this list in detail in the last hectic month.

JDH