[SciPy-user] egg dependency?

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Fri Dec 2 15:36:49 CST 2005

John Hunter wrote:

>I just tried to install the new scipy 0.6.1 on my ubuntu linux, and
>got hit with
>
>peds-pc311:~/python/src/scipy_core-0.6.1> spsi
>Running from scipy core source directory.
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "setup.py", line 38, in ?
>    setup_package()
>  File "setup.py", line 7, in setup_package
>    from scipy.distutils.core import setup
>  File "/home/jdhunter/python/src/scipy_core-0.6.1/scipy/distutils/core.py", line 42, in ?
>    from setuptools.command import bdist_egg, develop, easy_install, egg_info
>ImportError: cannot import name bdist_egg
>
>If the goal is to make scipy core as easy to install as Numeric, is it
>wise to require an egg dependency? In my understanding, egg still has
>installation issues of it's own -- eg, it is not installed with the
>python2.4 in Ubuntu Hoary, which is only 6-7 months old.

This is a mistake.  My understanding is that setuptools is "supported by
not required."   Any setuptools dependency should be handled more
gracefully.  I suspect the issue is that you have setuptools installed
but an older version then expected, perhaps?

I'm not sure, I didn't add this code.   See if you can comment-out that
line and continue.

-Travis