[SciPy-user] ***[Possible UCE]*** Building new scipy with Python 2.4 on Windows 2000 with MingW32

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Dec 13 19:43:17 CST 2005

Travis Brady wrote:

> I successfully built scipy_core from SVN sources using MSYS and MingW
> but haven't been able to figure out how to build new scipy on top of that.
> Are there a set of directions somewhere detailing how to do this?
>
> I've been referring to Pearu's email here:

> But haven't been able to get past the following error:

It looks like it's not finding blas or lapack and so it dies when trying
to compile integration routines on your system (which need blas, I
think).   Have you compiled ATLAS?  Apparently, scipy.distutils is not
finding it.

> atlas_blas_info:
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>
> C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\system_info.py:1076:
> UserWarning:
>
>     Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
>     the ATLAS environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
> blas_info:
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>
> C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\system_info.py:1085:
> UserWarning:
>
>     Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
>     the BLAS environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(BlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
> blas_src_info:
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>
> C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\system_info.py:1088:
> UserWarning:
>
>     Blas ( http://www.netlib.org/blas/) sources not found.
>     Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
>     scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas_src]) or by setting
>     the BLAS_SRC environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(BlasSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)
>   NOT AVAILABLE

These are the important erros.  You need to either install BLAS or get
the blas source and place it where scipy.distutils can find it --- or
edit the site.cfg file to show where you have it installed.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 42, in ?
>     setup_package()
>   File "setup.py", line 28, in setup_package
>     config.add_subpackage('Lib')
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\misc_util.py",
> line 399, i
> n add_subpackage
>     config = self.get_subpackage(subpackage_name,subpackage_path)
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\misc_util.py",
> line 389, i
> n get_subpackage
>     config = setup_module.configuration(*args)
>   File "C:\usr\src\scipy\Lib\setup.py", line 10, in configuration
>     config.add_subpackage('integrate')
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\misc_util.py",
> line 399, i
> n add_subpackage
>     config = self.get_subpackage(subpackage_name,subpackage_path)
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\scipy\distutils\misc_util.py",
> line 389, i
> n get_subpackage
>     config = setup_module.configuration(*args)
>   File "Lib\integrate\setup.py", line 18, in configuration
>     raise NotFoundError,'no blas resources found'
> NameError: global name 'NotFoundError' is not defined

It looks like there is a problem with the setup.py script, but the real
problem is that you don't have BLAS (or LAPACK) and full scipy needs those.

-Travis